Sunday, February 20, 2011

It's a Bou!

Yesterday I was drinking coffee and quilting with older women; meanwhile, Scottie went on an adventure.  
I thought he and Cole were out for a drive. I knew they took their guns, but we're in Alaska and that's just what you do. Plus, he did say they might shoot a ptarmigan if they saw one... (that's just a dumb bird, see below). Needless to say, I was not expecting any excitement in may day. 

After I had my fair share of fun quilting, I called Scott. He didn't answer his phone for 7 hours and I almost sent out the search parties. Finally he called and said they drove further than expected and he didn't have cell reception. Also, he instructed me he would be home in 45 minutes and to fix him some dinner (not even a please, and certainly no mention of dead animals).

Another 45 min and he rolls up and comes inside with bloody boots and a sweaty head. "Come see what i brought you!"... 
The proud killers

It's a bou! 
Shot February 19th at 3 pm
250 pounds (give or take a few)

So the story goes... they were driving down the road when they saw a bunch of caribou crossing the road right ahead of them. Scott pulled the truck over an cole got out and shot one, thats it. Real tough boys, I could have done that (I am a certified Alaska hunter). 
It's not huge as far as caribou go (If I had the gun I definitely would have shot a bigger one), but thats what you get for practically shooting it out of your truck. I guess they did have to drag it through knee deep snow straight up a hill, so supposedly they did do a little work.  Now Scott needs to quit shooting animals or we need to get a bigger freezer and probably have 10 kids to eat all the meat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment